THIS IS NEXT BIG THING
We run a business and entrepreneurship development programme and competition for 16-18 year olds. We aim to educate, inspire and support young people to build their confidence and to unlock their potential.
- Participants work with business mentors to develop a business idea over seven weekly sessions.
- Teams are coached by professional actors from RADA who work with them to hone their presenting skills.
- Teams present their business ideas, Dragons’ Den style, to a panel of judges drawn from a range of business backgrounds. The prize for the winning team is an investment of up to £1,000 in their business or social enterprise and a programme of support to turn the idea into a reality.
WHY OUR PROGRAMME IS NEEDED
Evidence from research by Dr Anthony Mann, Director of Research and Policy, Education and Employers Taskforce (‘It’s who you meet’, 2011) shows statistically significant positive relationships exist between the number of professional contacts that a young person experiences in school and:
- their confidence (at 19-24) in progression towards ultimate career goals
- the likelihood of whether (at 19-24) they are NEET or non-NEET
- earnings if salaried
The NBT programme provides a minimum of 12 hours intensive mentoring from experienced and committed business people.
As a teacher told us:
“….In a hugely competitive work environment, where it’s not what you know but who you know, our students do not have contacts in the business world that students from privileged backgrounds have; they cannot set up work experience and do not know how to use opportunities; NBT helps correct this”